Don’t miss the last day of the 8th Annual Lunar New Year Tet Festival on Sunday, February 17, 2012 at the Mira Mesa Community Park from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm. There will be homeland traditions, entertaining music, dance performances, Vietnamese games, foods, merchandise, and carnival rides.
Tet is celebrated from the first day of the first month of the lunisolar calendar (around late January or early February) until at least the third day. Many Vietnamese prepare for Tet by cooking special holiday foods and cleaning the house. On Tet, Vietnamese visit their families and temples, forget about the troubles of the past year and hope for a better upcoming year. Tet traditionally marks the coming of Spring, so Spring is sometimes used interchangeably with Tet in Vietnamese.
The schedule of events on this day is as follows:
- 11:00am— Festival opens
- 11:30am to 12:00pm— Tet Music
- 12:00pm— Legendary Lion Dance; Naruwan Taiko Drum
- 1:00pm— Teerah; Julianne Manalo; Mua Hawaii : Hukilau (Julia Lan Chi Nguyen & Emily Bao Tam Nguyen); Ngay Tet que em; Don xuan
- 2:00pm— Fashion show; Dau xuan linh chuc; Amy; Thanh Nha
- 2:45pm to 3:15pm— Southern Sea Lion Dance
- 3:15pm to 4:35pm— Runway “Spring of Fashion” by Kari Lam
- 5:00pm— Closing Ceremonies
For inquiries, interested parties may contact Alex Nguyen at telephone number (213) 359-0423. For more information about the event, please visit http://www.sdtet.com.